Monday, January 25, 2010

Stupid Crazy for NYC




Today, the students and I took a tour of The Fountain House. From their website:

Membership

At Fountain House, our members – men and women recovering from mental illness – volunteer their time to help operate the organization in exchange for the chance to gain skills, access opportunities, and make friends. Working collaboratively with a professional staff, members take part in every function of Fountain House: a unique approach that fosters mutually respectful relationships among our entire community, ensures that our services are responsive to our members’ changing needs, and engenders a feeling of investment in the programs that members create for themselves and their peers.

Services

We offer innovative support services in the areas of employment, education, housing, and wellness, as well as an initiative targeted at young adults. By combining life-long community support and diverse opportunities for advancement, we empower our members not only to recover but to pursue their goals and dreams. Fountain House’s programs are redefining what our members believe is possible for their lives and changing the way society views the capabilities of people with mental illness.

Fountain House produces results:

· 77% of participants in Fountain House’s Education Program complete their studies. The average education completion rate for students with mental illness is 32%.

· 65% of Fountain House members have achieved employment through our employment program. The average employment rate for people with mental illness is 15%.

· Members receiving psychiatric services at The Storefront, our partner clinic which integrates psychiatric and primary healthcare, have a relapse rate of 7%. The current average relapse rate is 50%.

It is a remarkable model that has “clubhouses” all over the nation except in South Dakota. Seriously, I really need to win the lottery so I can just volunteer my time to start all these incredible services. It was impressive and moving. I just want Sioux Falls to have all of this to serve those that need it the most.

Cuban food is on the student’s “to do list,” so I took them to the East Village to Café Havana. From grilled Cuban corn, to sautéed spinach, to mozzarella and avocado quesada, the students agreed that this was the best meal they have experienced since getting into the city.

Since it was 60 degrees (although sporadically rainy), it was a day to stay outside until the last possible moment. Anne and I scavenged through the housing works on Crosby and then enjoyed their bookstore next door. This is one of those places that you are thrilled to discover – a cooler, inexpensive Barnes and Nobel where all the proceeds go to fighting HIV and AIDS – but then you realize, that it may result in empty, empty, pocketbooks.

I met Luce at Sweet Revenge for coffee, cupcakes and conversation. Have I mentioned how much I love this man?

It was still too beautiful to go inside, so Haley met me to continue window shopping around the neighborhood. Fortunately or unfortunately, it became real shopping. It is a great time to buy boots in the city! At least that’s my story, and I am sticking to it.

Teake caught up with us, so we ended the evening with pizza from Karavas. I love the fact that most evenings I get to wind down with my son and students. As I finish up this entry, it is midnight and my window is wide open. I understand they are having another blizzard in SD this evening….this is the best interim ever!

1 comment:

Eric said...

Yes! The Cuban meal will go down in history!