Saturday, January 9, 2010

USF on the Broadway Stage!

Another stellar day in the Big Apple. The students and I - literally - ran to the Neil Simon Theater on 52nd Street to participate in the ticket lottery for Ragtime. Not one of our names were drawn, but we get in line in the "Lottery Losers" or "Post-Lottery Winners" and did get tickets in the last row of the mezzanine for a reduced rate.

I saw the original cast in 1999, but this production was much stronger to me. First of all, Michael McGowan was in it...SD boy done "good." Last year at this time, Mike was on campus offer master classes to USF students. It was an honor to watch him work. He played everything from an Irish Officer to Charles S. Whitman...17 costume changes in all. I was particularly moved by the debut performance of Quentin Earl Darrington who played the lead role of Coalhouse Walker Jr. He could hold a note for days.

After the show, Mike welcomed us at the stage door and led us onto the stage. The students were truly speechless. Mike graciously answered questions, offered narrative and introduced us to Mr. Darrington and the director Marcia Milgrom Dodge. I love that in the Playbill notes, Mike's included, "For Sylvia Wolff Henkin, Jewish Grandmother." Sylvia is like my second mother. No one deserves to be honored in such a way more than she.

It's official, my CST students have been on a Broadway stage!


2 comments:

amycross said...

What an amazing opportunity!

Just wanted to drop you a line and ask if you guys participated in the "no pants" subway ride today? I jut read about it. It sounds like something theatre kids might get a kick out of. Not sure if that was part of the syllabus.

Anyway, sounds like these kids are in for the experience of a lifetime. Keep telling them to soak it all in. The blogs are a great tool, like a diary of their trip. I wish I had something like that to go back and read on days like today. I am missing the stage after an hour long conversation catching up with Ann, and then your blog entry! It reminded me of when we saw Hairspray, and you happened to be watching the show next to John Waters! Talk about always being in the right place at the right time. Hopefully that luck applied today on the subway during the "no pants" ride. If not, there is always next year. Maybe you can even get it added to the syllabus. Maybe extra credit??? ;) Keep the updates coming. They are giving this girl her long awaited and needed theatre fix! Blog on sista. Blog on!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_no_pants_day

amycross said...

http://improveverywhere.com/2010/01/10/no-pants-2010-nyc-reports/

Not that you asked or even care, but above is the link to the website of the group that started the "no pants" subway ride. The group is called Improv Everywhere. ;)

Oh,and by the way, will you get a chance to see Mitch this trip? My husband would kill me if I knew I asked that. I kid!

I must sign off as I feel like I am dominating the blog comments. This is probably a learning tool and I am using it to catch up. Blog on!