Monday, October 27, 2008

What am I running to or from? No matter what, I always end up where I started.


The following is the web description of the road race that I completed yesterday

Poland Spring™ Marathon Kickoff Race

On the Sunday prior to the ING New York City Marathon, this race travels the roads of Central Park covering part of the Marathon course including the same finish line. The 5-mile race is open to all runners, not just Marathoners. In addition to plenty of Poland Spring® Brand Natural Spring Water to keep runners hydrated, everyone who completes the race receives a Poland Spring Souvenir and t-shirt.


I met Ann Weisbecker and Matt "Guy" Fiorita at CP for the 8:30 run. Guy took off immediately and ran some ridiculous time like 30 minutes. Ann and I ran together for the first couple of miles, but since I had not ran since I fell and busted off my front tooth, I told her to continue on at that pace...I had to slow down. Also, I thought we were running a 5K. After the one mile marker and I asked her exactly how long 5K was in miles, Ann said, "Yeah, um...it is 5 miles. I didn't know when it would be a good time to tell you." Okay. 5 miles. No problem....and really it wasn't. I finished running under 10 minute miles. Not bad for someone officially closer to 50 than 40. I really wish I had brought my camera as it was really wonderful to be able to take part in an event with 10,000 others, but more than that to do it with 2 former O'Gorman (and Ann also graduated from USF) students who I directed and coached.

Little fyi about Ann and Guy. First of all, the name "Guy" came after high school, so I have a difficult time calling him that - he is Matt to me. Anyway, they are both O'G grads, both amazing actors and interpers for me, but did not know each other (he is older). They met in nyc and have been together for a couple of years now. Life is amazing

...anyway, back to Central Park. It was an absolutely perfect morning in the city. The sun was shining and it was perfect weather for running. It was so communal. People were lined up around the park to cheer us on; it really does give you marathon fever. Next Sunday, I am going to Guy's apt in Williamsburg to watch the NY City Marathon and return the "fan favor" to real runners!

No comments: