Sunday, October 26, 2008

Broadway Hit and Miss

Yesterday, I got up and hit the Housing Works....where else can you get a $200 designer jean jacket for $15?

I met some of the students for All My Sons. This was the show that turned me on to theatre. In the late 80's, I saw a production by the same name at SDSU starring names such as Jarrod Emick, Vicki Fuller, Trey Karlen and Michael Barnett. I could not leave the theatre because I could not quit sobbing....it forever has defined the word "catharsis" for me.

So, here I am listening to John Lithgow, Diane Wiest, Katie Holmes and Patrick Wilson speaking Miller's words....directed by a Brit - and it shows. Swear to God, the American born, Juliard trained actor playing George had a British accent. I found the staging contrite.; I knew where they were moving next. Also, the style was very John Doyle. Give them each an instrument and we have Sweeny Todd or Company. Stage vs Film chops showed...no matter how earnestly she projected, Ms. Holmes/Mrs. Cruise was out of her league.

Saturday night, I went to 13. Thank goodness it is only 90 minutes long. It was written and performed for a pre-pubescent audience; I am over 3o years too late.

I went to bed early to prepare for my Sunday am road race.

2 comments:

mur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.