Friday, October 31, 2008

Variety is the Spice of Theatrical Life

On Wednesday, I went to A Man for All Seasons at the American Airline Theatre. It starred the great Frank Langella and it was the first time in a long time that I cried in the theatre. It was oozed class. Things found in my notebook after the show
  • Never underestimate the power of light as a metaphor. There was an point when Cromwell snuffed out the light of enlightenment.
  • Off stage sounds should never be forgotten
  • Hughes is the king of directing scene changes; they are deliberate and orchestrated
  • In the design there are lots of lines to cross – in the flooring, the beams, the doors, etc.
  • Excellen t playfulness of Henry VIII. He was depicted as a walking party…he even had musicians traveling him. He was an infectious personality.
  • Sir Thomas Moore: “God is too subtle.”
  • “It is not holy; it is just old. You can’t see it or touch it ….it is theory.
  • “I trust I make myself obscure?
  • Thought is the middle…Kirby Wilcoxson is a modern day Sir Thomas Moore
  • The law is not a light in which to see by.

The reason I found myself tearing up was first the relationship between Moore and his daughter Margaret and his wife…he respected them and protected them. The other reason was because it was a student matinee. When I bought my ticket, they basically apologized that the house would be full of students. I said, “I taught high school for 12 years. I am totally up for the challenge.” It was an honor to be in the audience. The show was close to 3 hours long and they were so engaged.

During the curtain call, Frank Langella stopped to address them. He told them that they were the best audience ever and that this play addresses the issue of conscience. He said, “It is of great importance to listen to one conscience and know the man or woman that your are voting to represent you in the affairs of the state. It was sincere and it made an impact.
After the show, I dropped some interview requests at Speed the Plow for Jeremy Piven and Raul Esparza. Then, I ran up to 54th to grab some soup from my favorite spot…yum. Seafood Chowder and Crab Bisque.


That night I attended Fifty-Words at the Lucille Lortel which is three blocks from my home. Ummmm…it was scary in a ohmygodIdonotwanttobethesepeople sort of way. Norbert Butz who is a huge Broadway name drives me nuts…he pulls the last vowel in the last word of each sentence. The pattern is irritating.


New plays – old plays. Young audiences – old audiences. Broadway - Off, Off Broadway, 1ooo in the house – 2oo in the house….I love the variety right outside of my door.

No comments: