Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pinch Me

Isn’t there an MTV program called “Best Day Ever?” I – totally – needed to be on that show today.

I actually arrived in nyc yesterday. However, since I really haven’t slept until sometime in August, I arrived exhausted, dragged my posterior up the five floor walk-up to my studio on Bedford, and went to bed.

This morning, I awoke to a gorgeous October day in Manhattan. The first thing on the agenda was to walk over to Porto Rico Importing Company to buy beans. This is the best coffee shop in the world; they also have an online store and if anyone reading this ever wants to buy me a Christmas or Birthday gift, just send me some coffee from PRIC and I will love you forever. Check them out at http://www.portorico.com/store/

I then savored a quiet breakfast of bagel, cream cheese and jam, pumpkin spice coffee, a banana and yogurt. Heaven.

I constructed a letter of which I have been procrastinating. Since I am trying to collect artist interviews to place in an anthology that suppliments Anne Bogart’s book A Director Prepares: Seven Essays of Art and Theatre, I should probably consult Anne Bogart. I have been dragging my feet, because in addition to being a theorist, director and teacher, she is also writer. I have been hesitant in contacting her because I have been afraid that she will put the “kabash” on the project – maybe she wants to do this herself or maybe she just doesn’t like the idea. Also, without crashing SITI Company, the theatre company and school that she originated, or Columbia, where she teaches, I had no idea how to get into contact her.

So, I wrote a letter, explained my interest and sent it to an address I found on the Columbia website. She responded – enthusiastically about my work – within the hour. I was over-the-moon! She has agreed to meet with me next Tuesday. Pinch me.

Then, I also received a response from an email request that I sent director Douglas Hughes. He too agreed to meet with me, send me his cell number and told me to call. Pinch me.

I finished breakfast and floated over to the Housing Works to do a little shopping. Then, the USF kids called, they had landed in Newark found their driver and were headed to one of the apartment I had rented for them in Chelsea. Happy Fall Break USF!

We dropped their bags and walked down to the West Village. I introduced them to my neighborhood by having lunch at the White Horse Tavern, meeting Miguel and Hercules, and showing them all the quant tree-lined streets.

Next we headed uptown. They wanted Spring Awakening tickets…and got them. Amazing. Student rush – front mezzanine. I walked them by Rockefeller Center and on to the shrine called H & M. I needed to get down to the other apartment to grab keys, so I left Kimmy and Keagan to grab a student rush ticket for me to the Opening Night performance of the revival of Mamet’s Speed the Plow with Raul Esparza, Jeremy Piven and Elizabeth Moss.

Fyi…the kids’ apartments in Chelsea are on 28th and 20th (cross street is 7th for both). Both apts are really cute; I hope they are pleased.

I really enjoyed the direction and acting of Speed the Plow. How can you go wrong? Amazing actors – seasoned director. I always love sitting in the mezzanine as one can see directing patterns so clearly.

Afterwards, I was lingering around the stage door, just to eye-spy. Since it was opening night, I saw a lot of who’s who going in – Robert Kline, Blythe Danner, John McEnroe and Patti Smyth, Marian Seldes, and Barbara Streisand. On the way out, I spoke to Fredrick Weller and exchanged hi’s with the “Can you hear me now” Verizon guy. However, the thrill came randomly. Patricia Clarkson walked by.

Every year in Intro to Theatre, I am asked who are my favorite actors. My standard answers are Edward Norton and Patricia Clarkson. Earlier today, I was lamenting a bit that I was incredibly lucky to have so many amazing men to agree to meet me for an interview, but I really need more women. I was just thinking earlier today – I would love to interview Patricia Clarkson….and there she was.

I approached her and – truthfully – was star struck. I had trouble formulating a sentence, but I did ask….and she agreed!!! She said that she was “intriqued” by me and insisted that I call her Patty. First I get to call Kathleen Chalfant “Kathy” and now “Patty.” Pinch me.

After the kids got a slice to fill their tummies and end their first day, got the girls settled in their apartment, I headed home.

It was the “Best Day Ever.”

1 comment:

mur said...

bartling, you are so great at making things happen...i hope everything keeps happening for you. enjoy yourself!