Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bogartism

My meeting with Anne Bogart went really, really well. I started the conversation by asking her a couple of random questions. “Do you think we will see a new ‘ism’ in our lifetime? Are we moving toward anything? ” I asked. She responded, “Well, I think we are moving to a rebirth of learning. The last ‘ism” was post-modernism. However, we need to see a deconstruction in order for there to be growth. It is approaching.”

I asked her if – before we started talking about the project – I could tape record it. I explained that my memory isn’t what it used to be and that the what I used to take to help that (estrogen) has been removed from my daily supplement by my doctor. She retorted, “I know what you can take. Take notes.” Touche.

I pitched the project by explaining the importance of her text in the USF CST program. Then, I told her about my artistic journey. I assured her that my continual quest for knowledge keeps me alive as a teacher, and that my goal as an instructor is prepare the students in their discipline but also to show them how to change the world with art – right where you live. I told her that Terrance McNalley once told me,”Do art where you are. If you make New York, Chicago, LA or even Minneapolis your barometer of success than you will be unhappy .” This is why I want to do the supplemental book. I want to bring the stories of the artists to them. Furthermore, I want to show my students that all people have stories and that it is our job to tell them.

She listened intensely and then simply said, “I love the idea. I am excited about its possibilities; you have my complete support. Now, I need to get back to rehearsal, and I will see you at the show.” It was quick and absolutely everything – and more – than I hoped it would be. I did attend her radio play of War of the Worlds afterwards. Jeffery France, one of the actors that I interviewed last year, was one of the actors so that was a lovely surprise. Julie Crosby, from the Women’s Project and her significant other, Bruce, joined me at my table. It struck me how small the theatre world is even in nyc.

The performance was chilling. I am so drawn to her direction…it is simple: listen to the text. It is powerful how large she can make a production when – in reality – the stage was absolutely tiny to house the seven actors.

After the show, I touched base with Jeffery and then headed back to the Village. I stopped in Daddy-O and caught up with Luce. It feels so good to be able to pick up with my nyc friends right where we left off last December….we both had a lot to share.

No comments: