Sunday, January 15, 2012

South Dakota in the House!

The Theory of Dakotativity is alive and well on the island.  When coming back to the hotel to change for my Friday swim, I heard, “Kim Bartling?”  Lou Ann (Dystra) Jensen a longtime friend – we were both in Bennewies Hall together at SDSU – was standing in the main office. Unbelieveable.  After a chorus of “holy shit” from both of us, we made plans to meet for a walk into town after my swim and run. 
Lou has two beautiful daughters that are along on the trip – Kristi and Anne.  They hav  been gracious enough to let me tag along.  I do love my quiet time, but adventures such as snorkeling are so much more fun when sharing the awe.  Oh and let’s not forget our Friday night at the Lion’s Den playing bingo with the locals – priceless!

It has been lovely meeting Lou in such a different environment.  She still directs high school one-acts and oral interp, so we see each periodically.  However, to talk as two women – two teachers from small town South Dakota on the quiet white beach of Ambergris Cay, is an intimate offering.  She is a woman to be admired, and I do.

No comments: