Thursday, January 5, 2012

Belize 2012

Well, I arrived in Belize City at approximately 5 pm on Wed., December 4th. I came with 3 more USF athletic equipment bags full of Tennis Shoes - @ 80 pairs.  Also, there were school supplies and toys. I also had 2 suitcases packed with my clothes and more shoes, supplies and toys.  Altogether it was 250 # of guarantee smiles.

I knew the biggest obstacle of the day was going to get the luggage off the conveyer, through customs, and to the water taxi across town.  Also, I was a bit concerned about getting it all from the San Pedro taxi stop to my home for the month.  However, all your Facebook and Family prayers worked as it was a breeze!!  The only problem was customs who decided I wasn’t as cute as I was in March, so I had to pay @ $100 in duty.  Dang!

Mason, the taxi driver, was more than willing to help me with my bags and even offered me his home free of charge if I wanted to hang out in Belize City for a while….see I told you all the people here were friendly!  Don’t worry mom and Thad, not even I am that naïve.

We made it in time for the last water taxi of the day, and @ 2 hours later, the lovely boys San Pedro carried everything from the beach right to a waiting beat-up van on Front Street!  Yes. A whole $5 later, my bags were in my amazing house, and I was off to get a $2 burrito in Central Park.

I was in bed by 9:30 – those that know me, acknowledge that means that I was exhausted.  I slept until 1 pm this afternoon – that doesn’t surprise anyone who knows me.

Unpacking, learning the names of those I will spend a lot of time around – housekeepers and groundskeeper for this hotel, shopkeepers within 5 minutes, etc have consumed most of the afternoon.  I have my own house behind, so I plan on doing my own housekeeping.

I have to say, that I am beyond surprised by my dwelling.  Ms. Lydia from Holy Cross set it up, and I got the feeling that it was going to be “kind of” a shack.  Ummm….no.  It is a 2 story home anything I could want.  I will post pic here and on Facebook. 

I love this house because it epitomizes all that I admire on the island. Out the front – from the veranda, is the view of the Caribbean. Looking out the back windows are the locals doing the best they can.  I love living somewhere in between.

A couple of disclaimers – 1. I will not be giving a complete “diary” of my days, but please know if I do, it is purely self-indulgent so I can go back and relive.  I hope to have more entries of  discoveries, insights and ramblings  2.I include prices just so those of you back home reading along get an idea of the cost of living; there is nothing we Americans understand better than price tags J

 School is still not in session for Christmas break, so I will not be going to Holy Cross tile next week.  In the meantime, many of the children are on the beach playing….guess where I am off to next?

2 comments:

AnneW. said...

i'm so thrilled you made it! i will be praying for you and loving you!

Jeannie said...

It is awesome to read of your experience there Kim. Are you going to write a book someday?