Sunday, January 15, 2012

Festival of the Arts

A week has passed and life here lies somewhere between lazy and busy. The only complaint I have are the sand flies.  I have never experienced them before on previous trips, but they are making up for it now.  I realize I have put on some weight, but I had no idea I would be the juiciest thing on the island.

Theatre has begun at Holy Cross!  Each May, Ambergris Caye sponsor a “Festival of the Arts.”  Each school is encouraged to participate.  This year HC Standard 4 will be presenting two short one act musicals: Where the Wild Things are and A Melody Off-Key!  I will get the basic structure in place and then the teachers will continue to work with them until the actual festival in May. This week revolved around basic theatre skills. On Monday we start the serious rehearsals!  Pray for me.

All the student I have been working with are really open to theatre – which is completely new to most of them.  The biggest obstacle are 2 fold: 1. The girls all just want to dance like Shakira all the time  2.When they get up front to perform, they forgo the “formal English” and Creole sets in.  So, for the most part, it looks great to me, but I have no idea what they are saying J

No comments: