Monday, January 13, 2014

Too Many Streets Smarts is Not a Good Thing

I have seen Christian selling jewelry on the beach the last 3 years. He is the man of a family and primary money maker as he is the "face" of their jewelry selling business. I have observed his grandma, mom and aunt wait for him at his school at noon in order to make him work the beach during his lunch hour.  Since arriving on the island, he has a new "pitch." He has memorized, "Hey, sexy lady would you like to buy some jewelry? A beach sandal will make your foot look sexy." It is by rote, and more than disturbing coming out of a 7 year old's mouth.

The 3rd time he approached me and recited his spiel, I was done. I made him sit down and told him that the tourists do not want to hear "Sexy Lady."  Instead, I told him that if he just said, "Hi, my name is Christian, and I am 7 would you like to buy some of my jewelry?" people would be more apt to buy his wares. I know I cannot stop his families' exploitation, but I will do my best to stop the tourists'.  Next, I had his mother and grandmother sit with me, and I tried to explain the same thing to them. They assured me that most women found it "cute." My last tactic was to threaten contacting the authorities   if it continued. It was said more to scare Christian as the women in his life are beyond teaching ethical practices.

Please keep little Christian in your thoughts and prayers. He is a sweet, little boy. All children should be allowed to be just that - children.

No comments: