Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Miss Kim

"Miss Kim" could be two of my favorite words strung together. Since arriving on the island, it has been the melody to which I have walked and biked. Since the kids are on holiday break, they are around every corner and upon getting a glimpse of me, shout, "Miss Kim!"

The first of "my kids" I eye-spy was Ivo. He was across town from his home in a kiosk buying a piece of candy. Before he owned his embarrassment, he hugged me. We fall into our normal pattern as we walk San Pedro Town to home. No one at his house knew where he had been. This barefoot and filthy 9 year old boy, is the epitome of "street kid."

On New Year's, it was a chorus of "Miss Kim's" as my Holy Cross students see me across Central Park. The girls look so grown up in their celebration clothes.  The boys are awkward with their pimped-up bicycles and pimples. I don't want to wish the years away, but I wonder what it will look like ten years from now, when they have their own families and - hopefully - careers.

Unfortunately, there are those moments where being "Miss Kim" is just...hard. Today, on the second day of school, I again saw Ivo in the street. Yesterday, I made him walk me back to his home when I found him running the streets and not in school.  He told me - and his father confirmed - that he did not attend the first day as his uniform was not clean. I don't like being "Miss Kim" the teacher/disciplinarian/truant officer to parents. Today, I made the difficult decision to no longer finance Ivo's education. I have never given up on a student - child, and I will continue to be a friend to the Gotoy Family, but it is clear that education is not a priority.

Also, today, Miss Kim served as representation for 12 year old Jose, who was arrested this weekend. I have watched Jose work his way out of 2 schools in the last 2 years. I have heard the whisperings of certain episodes of which he has been linked. Despite all of this, I have never experienced anything but respect from this child.  Today, while waiting for the magistrate, I took him outside and reminded him that he should be scared beyond words. I told him that there is a not a thief, crook and/or drug dealer in his heart and soul, but a man of God waiting to grow. Out of nowhere, I began to cry. Jose just hugged me and hugged me and hugged me. This is a little boy. This is a little boy who has not been hugged or has heard a kind word in years. Yet, he did not hesitate to show love and appreciation to the one person who showed up in his tough world today. Because of this, I am taking him to another school tomorrow. He is worth the "3rd time is the charm" risk. Pray for Jose.

Miss Kim's day ended exactly the way it should. I headed down to a school to check in on the 3 siblings that I introduced to the world of education last April. They are doing great! I met with the principal, vice-principal, and all three teachers. These children are loved and celebrated.

While I waited for upper classrooms to dismiss, a small group of 6 year old boys were sitting at a palapa table. I asked if they would like me to read them a book as they waited for their older siblings.  I had "A Cat in the Hat" in my bag. I started with an audience of 4, I ended with 12. Also, they made me promise that I would come back with another story by the end of the week. Miss Kim is big with 6 year old boys.

The day ended in the 8' x 16' home of Erick, Nayeli and Moises.  I brought them a huge bag of clothes and a small toy for each too - a late Christmas. We worked on spelling, reading, math, and geography. This small room is home to 5 children, their mother and the latest man. In one corner was a 2 burner stove with dinner cooking. The bucket in the middle of the room is the toilet. There is one bed, one fridge, two languages and oodles of laughter and love. The words, "Miss Kim" are interrupted with "Miss Kim" as each child wants me to check their work or show me a trick. Miss Kim is exhausted but blessed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I does sound very exhausting but also extremely rewarding. It is unfortunate that the Gotoy family do not understand the importance of education. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Jose as well as the many other children working hard to improve their lives.

debzilla said...

I would love to come back with you. Wow. Thank you for sharing Miss Kim!