Saturday, October 13, 2012

You Can Take the Mom Out of Sioux Falls, but She is Always a Mom


The week slipped by too quickly.  It was four days of creating a nest for Teake that will comfort him yet encourage him to fly. Since we got in late, we got going on Tuesday a bit late too.  It was a day of shopping in Santa Rose which is about 15 minutes from Guerneville. As lovely as the apartment is, it needed a few things. Hitting the thrift stores proved productive as we found a new rug for the living room along with some funky barrel chairs from the 50's. I also purchased some fabrics for curtains, kitschy items for ambience, and necessities for the kitchen and bathroom.

The final stop was Trader Joe's. Oh, why does Sioux Falls not have a Trader Joes's? Someday I shall write a sonnet or love letter in ode to TJ. The first time we met, in NYC's Union Square, it was love at first sight...and smell...and taste. Amidst the free range chicken breasts, pesticide-free produce, a cheese selection of dreams and an aisle dedicated to Two Buck Chuck, I knew that I was ruined. I have feasted on mozzarella and basil (which I pluck off the actual basil plant I purchased for $2.50) grilled cheese and fired red pepper soup every lunch since.

Wednesday, I got up and walked the tree canopied road into town.  Teake lives on the banks of the Russian River, which has been described as the Apple River of Northern California. As it is now approaching the rainy season, the town is a bit sleepy, but from all accounts it is THE place to be on hot summer days to drift, swim and play in the water. It is probably not the best time to move here as the off-season means jobs are thin, but when the time is right for you the world will just have to adjust.  It is the right time for Teake,

I immediately found the town's thrift store.  It is ran by the lovely Andrea. I was there a full ten minutes when I realized that she is the hub of the homeless community. From underwear and clothes to special trinkets, she takes care of the less fortunate. The shop was busy with tourists, yet she was helping a man find new pants as he had soiled his. I watched for a while and then asked if she needed any help. She looked at me a bit oddly, and then I explained that I was on no real schedule, and it seemed as if she could use an extra pair of hands. I spent the next couple of hours cleaning and arranging the garage that housed the larger furniture items. I was assisted by Howard, a man who has  obviously lived a challenging life. He was excited by name as he had Kimberly tattooed across his chest - yes, he showed me. He told me that he was lucky because after his wife divorced him, he found another Kimberly as his second wife. Howard's thin face is outlined with years of substance abuse, but he works diligently as a disciple if Andrea. As I left for the day, she was helping Howard find pants that would fit as he had a lead on a job. I worked there for two days, and she graciously gave me an electric tea kettle, a toaster oven and some fabric for my reupholstered projects. It was a win win.

I wanted to teach Teake how to make the belt chairs that I have been selling in Sioux Falls. It is a great way to make a couple of bucks and keep busy in the evenings. As I was enjoying a taco from the food truck, I struck up a conversations with another local. I asked about where I could find a used bike.  He directed me to Tom who has a little bit of everything located behind the Safeway.

To describe Tom's "business" as an eclectic junkyard would be romantically generous. I was in heaven. He has a sign that says, "Don't you dare call this junk. it is a museum." My total ended up being 5 chairs, 1 lamp, 1 table, &over 70 belts for $55. All the items are in need of desperate repair, but the prospect of upcycling and resale is totally there. I plan on finishing all the items by Monday, placing them on Craigslist and leaving Teake with a bit of probable income and a skill that has artistic and monetary return.

Thursday morning I walked into town and went to the Chamber of Commerce asking if there was a seamstress in town. I had found a woman online who I had called, but I could not figure out her address.  It turned out that she was 4 miles up the road. What I loved about her ad was the description of location, "located in the Quonset hut and labeled Door B." When I called, she said that if I could come immediately, she could help me as the cafe was not yet busy, and she did not have a dog grooming appointment until the afternoon. I am not making this up. Suzy's Sewing in the quansett hut was just part of her business Mecca. The rest of the hut was dedicated to her restaurant

The women at the Chamber directed me to Bonnie a local upholster who specializes in road vehicles and boats.  I walked the mile to her storefront and had a ball! She and her assistant Cindy, put me in front of an industrial machine and let me work. They told me stories about the local flair - when they were not taking smoke breaks every 7.5 minutes - and laughed generously.  When I completed end curtains, Bonnie asked me if I would consider working with them in drapery.  I told her as much as I appreciated the compliment, my standard of "it's good enough for a town this size" would certainly not measure up to her reputation and skills. Teake's curtains do look mighty good if I do say so myself, and at the price of $3.50 for the material, it was a bargain.  The bonus was the friendship and laughter of Bonnie and Cindy

1 comment:

Jonathan Neiderhiser said...

"Oh, why does Sioux Falls not have a Trader Joes's?" Yes. Yes. Yes! Jenny and I have asked this question a million times.