Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dad was right...(just don't tell him)

My father always told me to go into every situation expecting nothing, and you will never be disappointed. Once again...I should have listened to dad.

I went to see Velarie yesterday at St. Francis'. Her smiling hospitality that I experienced last week was short lived. I brought her a quart of her favorite Butter Pecan ice cream. When I walked into the communial living area, she was less then thrilled to see me.

Velarie told me that she wanted nothing from me including seeing my face. She told the man with whom she was speaking that I was the government leech that had found her in New York. She asked, "How did you know that I was at the library? How did you know to find me there?" I tried to reassure her that I didn't, but she was hearing nothing of it.

Vel almost screemed that she wanted nor needed nothing from me. She said that - despite my interference - she now had her photo ID and SS card, and as soon as her other SS checks arrived, she would be moving to the family farm in Watertown to open her own printing press. God Bless her.

She told me that she gave the socks and slippers that I had bought her last week to another St. Francis patron, and I was not to help her with anything again. She called me two-faced, manipulative, contolling and sneaky - basically everything but a white girl was a fair description. Actually, that isn't even true. Karilee and I stood around the corned and listened to her continued rant about the evils of Kim Bartling. She went on to tell the sweet man who was gracious enough to listen to her, "Don't let her beauty trick you. She is a dangerous." ...She thinks I'm pretty!!!

I left sad. I really thought that we had turned a corner next week. Unfortunately, the reality is that Velarie will always return to our lowest moment when she sees me. She believes that I took the money that she hid in her khaki pants. Truth be told, I think the money probably was lost when I disgarded her soiled clothes when she left for the hospital. So maybe I am responsible for the $200. I am considering giving her the cash just to see if she'll relax. I ask my reader's, what would you do?

I called the Reno copy center last week. They promised that the had not forgotten about me nor Velarie's book. I can't wait to check it out (pun totally intended).

No comments: