Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Warm Smile on a Cold SD Day

Yesterday was a day to celebrate. I stopped by the St. Fancis House to check in on Velarie, and she and Julie had just gotten back from the courthouse and DMV after getting Vel all her ID's. According to Julie, Vel has in rare form and had everyone cracking up with her brutal observations of the ineffeciency of our local, state and national civic establishment.

Karalee and Julie told me another story about Vel going shopping at St. Vincent DePaul's where she not only got a new set of luggage for $8 but also picked up more friends who gave her a lift home. Later these individuals returned with a flower bouqet for Vel along with four $5 bills tucked in it. This woman is a people magnet; she has to be the only homeless person in town who gets flowers delivered to her. While they were telling me the story, Velarie walked in the office. To say that seeing me caught her off guard would be an understatement.

I was greeted with a smile and a "What are you doing here?" I told her that I was just checking up on her, and she said, "I am fine, thank you. Oh, and I am now legal." This seemed to be the catalyst for an attitudinal change. She even gave me one of her sweet little giggles.

Karalee had mentioned that Vel needed socks and a pair of slippers, so I "slipped" over to Lewis Drug for a bit of shopping. Upon my return, I decided to push my luck and actually deliver them myself. She accepted them graciously. I commented, "Velarie it is so nice to be greeted with that smile again. I missed it." She responded, "Well, if you would have done what you said you were going to do, I would not have to havebeen so hard on you." I told her that I was off to Abeerdeen until Sunday, but I would check on her next week. "Good. You do that," was the note I left on.

I am not sure what I did or did not do according to Velarie's recollection of our journey, but I am thrilled that she has found some peace as she is the "legal" Velma Bremer. The loss of one's name certainly must come with a loss of personal power. I know that when individuals are hurt, angry or vulnerable it is common to lash out at those who love you the most - even if they are not the source of the pain. We do it all the time in our families. Is it possible that as I loved Velarie the most when she acted like she needed/wanted it the least, she saw me as family? If so, what a beautiful gift.

No comments: