Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Welcome Kristi to the Velarie Vortez

Last week Karalee from St. Francis called and informed me that Velarie needed clothes since she lost her suitcase somewhere between New York and St. Cloud. I went to St. Vincent's and loaded up with about 10 pairs of pants and as many sweaters...I threw in a couple sweatshirts and turtlenecks too. Karalee was proud to report that Vel took everything but a couple of sweaters. Of course she did not tell her that I left them...

After working at Joe Foss High School (check out this project at www.millzworkztheatre.blogspot.com) on Tuesday, Kristi Jones, a fabulous USF student, and I stopped by St. Francis as it is just down the street from the school. I thought I would drop off the last 2 weeks' New York Times for Velarie. She is a big reader, and knew she would enjoy them. Of course, I could not deliver them as she still believes that I am part of some bigger plot to control her. Kristi was thrilled to assist. She told Velarie that she heard she was from nyc and brought her the paper. Vel loved Kristi....who doesn't? She told Kristi stories as she held her hand the entire time.

I hung out with Agnes, Karalee and Julie in the office. I love these women. They have great stories, and I am so inspired by their work and relationship with the residents. Agnes gave me a tour of the house. I got to see the women's bedroom. There are five single beds, each with their own dresser. They also have their own TV. It is so cozy in there.

The St. Francis staff said that Vel had been out shoveling the walks (one hand on the railing and another on the shovel). They tried to get her stop and come in, but she said that she was totally capable of doing her part around the house. Also, she was going over to Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish and volunteering. There is no report of whether she is wanted or needed nor of what she is actually doing, but it passes part of her day. Too funny.

After about 40 minutes, I listened in on the Velarie-Kristi conversation. I was just in time to hear Velarie say, "So, you are a college student huh?" Kristi said yes to which Velarie responded, "Well, there is a college professor here in town that is trouble. She is not to be trusted. She did not come through for me." Poor Kristi. Finally, Kristi came around the corner, grabbed me out of the office and said, "Let's go before she finds out I am with you. I do not want to be on the top of her shitlist."

Kristi agreed that she is adorable and sooo smart. I am thrilled that she was able to meet Velarie. Furthermore, I as so excited that I can enjoy Vel's spunk and life vicariously through her. I am hopeful that more of my students and my own children will serve as my ambassadors with her. As much as I would love for her to get over her delusions of "Kim conspiracy", I am okay in caring for her from the periphery. It just brings in more people to spread and share the love.

Kristi also confirmed Karalee's report that Vel finished off her ice cream. Next to her chair sat an empty carton of Butter Pecan with one lonely spoon.

1 comment:

gad said...

Hey Kim --

Quite apart from enjoying the follow-up on Velarie, I just had to say that I was impressed with the closing image. Nice writerly touch.