Monday, July 20, 2009

Centered

Greenwich Village, NYC. I have been here 5 days and this is the first time that I have sat long enough to write. Just for my own sake of keeping a journal of sorts, I am just going to post some facts. I arrived Wed. evening and the studio on Cornelia is – as always – small but efficient. The Italian façade of the makes me feel as enter it looks as if I am walking through a street in Venice or one of the little towns in Cinque Terra. Also, I have a fire escape that I have managed to crawl in and out to. Like my apartment on Morton, I call it my balcony.

It is extremely hot in nyc – stand and drip weather. Also, the studio is on the 4th floor, so it is sultry. On Thursday evening, I sat out there and watched the world walk by. I felt like I was in a Spike Lee movie hanging out on the fire escape trying to find reprieve from the city’s heat.

Wednesday evening, I decided to just walk around the neighborhood. I feel so…what? Happy? Complete? Invigorated? Centered. As I walked up 7th Avenue I was spotted by Jose across the street at Kavaras where he serves Pizza. He came out on the street, waved and yelled my name. After declining his gracious offer of free pizza and beer, I continued on my stroll. The days have been sweltering, but the nights are gorgeous. As I walked down Carmine Street, Kevin came out of Daddy O’s and said, “Really Kim, you are in town and just going to walk by?” It is nice to be missed.

Thursday, I got up and took the train to Newark NJ to watch an Atlantic League game between the Newark Bears and the Somerset Patriots. It was an 11 am game, which means daycares galore. In fact, I could not locate the ticket office, so I stopped a gentleman for directions and he said, “Lady, if you can stand all the kids…here is a ticket, just go on in.” Sweet. I just walked over to first base, took a seat in the front row and settled in.

Long game short, The Bears lost 27-10. Yep. 27-10. Obviously not a great game, but there were some fun plays, a couple rhubarbs (Bears coach and former big leaguer Tim Raines got thrown out in the second inning), and it was a sun packed day filled with excited children.

Thursday evening, I took my sunburned body up to Midtown where I did standing room to watch Next to Normal starring Alice Ripley. Her performance was masterful. The show was brutally funny and the music was as if Tommy and Spring Awakening had a child.

Friday, I actually went to the gym. Chris at NYSC worked me a heck of a deal for two weeks. My trainer Nathan would have been proud as I worked out long and hard. It was me, three herculean gay men, actor Maura Tierney and her boyfriend, and one elderly black man in jeans and a button-up work shirt pumping iron.

Friday evening, I went and saw Mary Stuart with Janet McTeer and Harriet Walter Another treat. I was in the front row, which for musicals or comedies is frustrating for a director because I can’t watch patterns, but for a classic like this, it is perfect because it is all character work and I could see and feel each blink, tear, pause and flex.

My sister arrived around midnight. We sat on the fire escape and discussed world issues before heading to bed.

Saturday we shopped. I love shopping with her. Actually, I am blessed because truth be told, I would choose my sister first to do most anything. Together we call ourselves the “I’m in girls.” We both come a place of yes. We love adventure and laugh a lot – it is a wonderful combination.
We managed to score the last two standing room tickets for God of Carnage starring Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, James Gandolfini and Marcia Gay Harden. It is official….I am having a great theatre trip. This performance was a delicious recipe of contrast: subtly and unbridled anger, sophistication and barbarism, cunning wit and empathic sincerity. Also, the vocal work was seductive. Each voice was unique and compelling, especially the female’s.

Sunday, Jen and I won the lottery for 9-5. I loved this movie when it came out my senior year of high school. I wore the album out. The musical was over the top fun. Allison Janney, Stephanie Block and Megan Hilty were infectious. I have a girl crush on Janney – so smart and unsuspecting beautiful and talented. I loved the face that the choreography respected each note of the music – even as it underscored dialogue. An entire ensemble flicking their wrist on a 4 count or heightening all knees on the 6 count made for a seamless 2 ½ hours. We were still singing the theme song at midnight last night.

Jen and I stopped to see Hercules and his wife at his gourmet grocery store. As always he asked about his buddy Teake. He even wrote him a note that I need to deliver.

After a beautiful dinner of lobster ravioli at the café down the street from my studio where we met a fun but slowly annoying Bostonian/English couple. Also, two of my former students from my O’Gorman days ran into me on the street on Saturday, so Jen and I met up with Molly Casey and Kalli Kirk at the White Horse. I am forever humbled by the intelligence, talent, sensitivity and beauty of my students. These two epitomize all of those nouns. It is gift to be able to watch and learn from them as they make their way through life, love and careers.

Jen and I went to visit Luce at Daddy-O’s on our way home. Great guy – fun to catch up with him too.

Jen took off at noon today, and I decided to grab a salad and Panini at Pepe Verde on Hudson and 11th. I am watching the film crew prepare for the shooting of “Game Dahy” starring Jennifer Lopez. No J-Lo sighting yet…but Daphne Rubin Vegas just walked by. Speaking of sighting, Billy Cudrup was at the White Horse with us last night.

Off the gym and maybe a run before the rain drifts in the evening.

2 comments:

Psimple said...

Hungry - in a word.
Your writing stirs a hunger for challenging theatre, inspiring food and outrageous friendships! Keep writing Kim!
-Misti

Jenn said...

Write more.